Old 25-05-2007, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Wellington Boots for the garden

On 25/5/07 20:38, in article , "Robert"
wrote:

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
Everywhere I look I come across the same Wellington Boots ( Town & Country
etc) sold at Garden Centres, marketed at gardeners, that are useless for
digging as they haven't got a steel mid-sole and digging pad and will fail
if they are used for digging. Some fail very dramatically and painfully as I
know!
However after talking to the chap on the Hunter stand at Chelsea it appears
they make a suitable boot...
http://www.wellie-boots.com/ukmofcar...y-knee-dp.html
anyone used them? Are they any good?
Anyone found a real gardening Wellington boot of another make?

I do my best to avoid digging but I can vouch for Hunter boots. I have
a pair of 3/4 Argyle farming boots which have three great advantages -
they really are comfortable when worn for extended periods, they cope
well with rough terrain and they are relatively easy to take off. I
bought them about 5 years ago and they are high on my list of 'best ever
buys' .
They are available at branches of Mole Valley and some tack shops.

I don't do the digging but I've had my Hunters for at least 12 years. Ray
prefers cheapie ones from Tuckers which have very wide tops. He can slip
them on and off with ease as he comes in and out of the house whereas my
Hunters are a bit fitted round the calf. Thank heaven for stone flagged
floors, is all I can say!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk