Old 26-05-2007, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dave Allyn Dave Allyn is offline

Default fruit vines on arbor

Hello all!

I've recently put up an arbor that is about 10 feet long by 6 feet
high, and am looking for something to grow on it.

I originally got a blackberry, but then realized that was a bush
(shoulda checked first!) I would like to get something that will give
me fruit or berries off of it, as it is near my other fruit trees.

I am in zone 5a or 5b depending on who's map I look at. I am in
central IL, and the soil is not that great where the arbor is. The
house that was there burned down and the hole got filled in with
mostly clay. In the last several years I have managed to spread
enough leaves, woodchips, mulch, compost, grassclippings, etc over it,
and till it in every so often so the ground is not as bad as it was.
I even have a garden on that ground that is doing fine, but deep down
the soil is still clay.

I have tried the local nurserys, and they always try to sell me some
sort of bush. One even went so far as to say there is nothing that
climbs and produces fruit. I asked her about grapes, and she replied
"I suppose, but they don't grow well around here and the birds eat
what little they produce. how about a nice blueberry bush?"

Any ideas on what I can plant that will climb, produce fruit, and
tolerate less than perfect soil? (aside from grapes)