Old 27-05-2007, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Alternative for Clematis montana

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

I was thinking of evergreen climbers. Not many are there?

Doesn't have to be evergreen. I don't mind people seeing in in the
winter.

Ivy and C.armandii are the usual choice but Tropaeolum ciliatum is a nice
thing.

I'm getting rid of the ivy too ;-)
I have a C armandii clambering through a cherry tree and over the roof
of the terrace. It is certainly a lot less thuggish than montana. It's
also a bit earlier than montana.

I've got a couple of Tropaeolum seedlings, not sure what species. They
look a bit fragile - hard to imagine as thugs. How are they in the
presence of slugs? Ordinary nasturtiums seem immune to slugs, but these
just look too succulent.

I was warned by Charlie Pridham about how invasive this is, but for
now it can invade as much as it wants.
Some of the Holboellias might make a nice change but I am not certain how
hardy some of the recent new offerings are supposed to be.

That's a consideration. We're the lowest bit of ground around, and
although the terrace by the house is a sun trap, the lower garden is
noticeably later flowering than the surrounding area.

Hmm ...Googling finds lots of references to 'sheltered location'. Though
maybe I ought just not be quite so cautious in my approach.
--
Kay