Old 26-05-2007, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Alternative for Clematis montana

I'm considering getting rid of my Clematis montana and planting some
other clematis there instead. What would be an alternative? I need it to
flower the same time as montana (ie a bit later than the alpinas), to
have small flowers, to be a lot less vigorous, but still vigorous enough
to grow above the 'slug zone', and to be happy in a cold Yorkshire
climate.
--
Kay
Old 27-05-2007, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
I'm considering getting rid of my Clematis montana and planting some other
clematis there instead. What would be an alternative? I need it to flower
the same time as montana (ie a bit later than the alpinas), to have small
flowers, to be a lot less vigorous, but still vigorous enough to grow
above the 'slug zone', and to be happy in a cold Yorkshire climate.
--
Kay

The best I can do is to suggest yet another C.montana that is a bit less
vigorous. Crug have a few options such as:-
http://www.mailorder.crug-farm.co.uk...aspx?pid=10554
Does it have to be a clematis or would something else flowering at the right
time make a suitable substitute?

Old 27-05-2007, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

"K" wrote in message
I'm considering getting rid of my Clematis montana and planting some other
clematis there instead. What would be an alternative? I need it to flower
the same time as montana (ie a bit later than the alpinas), to have small
flowers, to be a lot less vigorous, but still vigorous enough to grow
above the 'slug zone', and to be happy in a cold Yorkshire climate.
--
Kay

The best I can do is to suggest yet another C.montana that is a bit less
vigorous. Crug have a few options such as:-
http://www.mailorder.crug-farm.co.uk...aspx?pid=10554
Does it have to be a clematis or would something else flowering at the right
time make a suitable substitute?

I'd like a clematis, but what else did you have in mind? Atm the montana
is just over, I have two climbing honeysuckles in flower, early roses,
and 3 wisteria.

The clematis (or whatever) is to go into an 8 ft mock orange. The
montana used to be part of a thicket forming our border with the church
car park next door. Following a change of priest late last year, the
church has pruned our thicket back to our boundary (as is their right -
thank goodness they didn't also return to us all the prunings ;-) )
thus destroying our privacy and our security in one fell swoop. We've
now added a 3-4ft trellis to the top of the stone wall boundary, which
gives the security back (or at least the illusion thereof, which is the
important thing), and I'm re-evaluating some of the things that were
forming the thicket - I'm planning more emphasis on roses and clematis
and less on pyracantha ;-)

--
Kay
Old 27-05-2007, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

"K" wrote in message
[...]

I was thinking of evergreen climbers. Not many are there?
Ivy and C.armandii are the usual choice but Tropaeolum ciliatum is a nice
thing. I was warned by Charlie Pridham about how invasive this is, but for
now it can invade as much as it wants.
Some of the Holboellias might make a nice change but I am not certain how
hardy some of the recent new offerings are supposed to be.
Both of these evergreen things flower fairly early so they might at least
plug the odd gap in your new thicket.

Old 27-05-2007, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

I was thinking of evergreen climbers. Not many are there?

Doesn't have to be evergreen. I don't mind people seeing in in the
winter.

Ivy and C.armandii are the usual choice but Tropaeolum ciliatum is a nice
thing.

I'm getting rid of the ivy too ;-)
I have a C armandii clambering through a cherry tree and over the roof
of the terrace. It is certainly a lot less thuggish than montana. It's
also a bit earlier than montana.

I've got a couple of Tropaeolum seedlings, not sure what species. They
look a bit fragile - hard to imagine as thugs. How are they in the
presence of slugs? Ordinary nasturtiums seem immune to slugs, but these
just look too succulent.

I was warned by Charlie Pridham about how invasive this is, but for
now it can invade as much as it wants.
Some of the Holboellias might make a nice change but I am not certain how
hardy some of the recent new offerings are supposed to be.

That's a consideration. We're the lowest bit of ground around, and
although the terrace by the house is a sun trap, the lower garden is
noticeably later flowering than the surrounding area.

Hmm ...Googling finds lots of references to 'sheltered location'. Though
maybe I ought just not be quite so cautious in my approach.
--
Kay

Old 28-05-2007, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
I'm considering getting rid of my Clematis montana and planting some
other clematis there instead. What would be an alternative? I need it to
flower the same time as montana (ie a bit later than the alpinas), to
have small flowers, to be a lot less vigorous, but still vigorous enough
to grow above the 'slug zone', and to be happy in a cold Yorkshire
climate.
--
Kay

Quite a tough challenge!
The smaller Montanas are often crossed with C. chrysocoma (which is lovely
but not hardy) and are probably going to be disappointing in your colder
climate, most other early flowered species are a bit tender. which leaves
you with the several thousand group two hybrid clematis, but they all have
bigger flowers than montana, I think one of the best for your purpose would
be "Miss Bateman" as the flowers are about 3-4" so not too large and its a
bushy grower, not normally pruned it can be tidied after flowering in June
(as can montana)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk