Old 28-05-2007, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Broad Beans and Blackfly

Alan McKenzie writes
I,ve seen that advice about removing the tops to prevent black fly - but
when and how do you do it please?
many thanks in advance.

When the beans are about the height they say on the packet, or when they
have a reasonable number of clusters of flowers or leave it till you see
the first one or two blackfly.

Just snap off the top 3 or 4 inches with your fingers.

Alan north of Portsmouth
"Broadback" wrote in message
Will Wilkinson wrote:
In message , White Van Man
writes
Has anyone got a natural Blackfly deterrent spray or mix they use to
reduce
the little buggers?

Broad Beans look like a war zone at the mo.

I use a 10% solution of Ecover washing up liquid - works a treat and is
plant based so pretty much an organic solution ;-)

Will

On the basis that prevention is better than cure I always remove the tops
of broad beans, this seems to stop blackfly. I then eat them, no, no I
mean the broad bean tops! ;-)

--
Kay