Old 28-05-2007, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Bloomin eck

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" writes:

snip

| Next stop an outdoor fruiting banana which is edible:-)

Don't hold your breath - unless you know some people who are into
seriously unusual genetic modification :-)

Well, Dave Poole isn't far off with a potential cross between Basjoo and
Sikkimensis. Vast quantities of Musa stuff is already Tc'd/micropropaged in
the US and Holland.
Musa seems to be the one thing where vast amounts of money have been
invested in research in case the few commercial varieties just croak.

Personally, I would be happy with an avocado ....

There is one variety of Avocado (Persea americana xx?) that is growing and
fruiting in the concrete jungle of London but I suggest you stick with
strawberries for a few more years:-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.