Old 27-05-2007, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bloomin eck

Planted two Actinidia deliciosa (Kiwi) several years ago just for the lovely
stem colour and the big exotic leaves.
It is laden with fruit. OK the fruit is currently the size of cherries but I
am exceedingly chuffed.
It only seems a few years ago that the thinking was that this thing would
not grow anywhere North of Watford.
Next stop an outdoor fruiting banana which is edible:-)

Old 27-05-2007, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" writes:
| Planted two Actinidia deliciosa (Kiwi) several years ago just for the lovely
| stem colour and the big exotic leaves.
| It is laden with fruit. OK the fruit is currently the size of cherries but I
| am exceedingly chuffed.
| It only seems a few years ago that the thinking was that this thing would
| not grow anywhere North of Watford.

Yes. It always was one of the more damn-fool beliefs, because it merely
LOOKS tropical! The belief that it wouldn't CROP in the UK wasn't
irrational - but even that was wrong.

| Next stop an outdoor fruiting banana which is edible:-)

Don't hold your breath - unless you know some people who are into
seriously unusual genetic modification :-)

Personally, I would be happy with an avocado ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-05-2007, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
Planted two Actinidia deliciosa (Kiwi) several years ago just for the
lovely stem colour and the big exotic leaves.
It is laden with fruit. OK the fruit is currently the size of cherries but
I am exceedingly chuffed.
It only seems a few years ago that the thinking was that this thing would
not grow anywhere North of Watford.

Well done. Mine died during last winter after four fruitless years.

--
Brian

Old 28-05-2007, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" writes:

snip

| Next stop an outdoor fruiting banana which is edible:-)

Don't hold your breath - unless you know some people who are into
seriously unusual genetic modification :-)

Well, Dave Poole isn't far off with a potential cross between Basjoo and
Sikkimensis. Vast quantities of Musa stuff is already Tc'd/micropropaged in
the US and Holland.
Musa seems to be the one thing where vast amounts of money have been
invested in research in case the few commercial varieties just croak.

Personally, I would be happy with an avocado ....

There is one variety of Avocado (Persea americana xx?) that is growing and
fruiting in the concrete jungle of London but I suggest you stick with
strawberries for a few more years:-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 28-05-2007, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
Planted two Actinidia deliciosa (Kiwi) several years ago just for the
lovely stem colour and the big exotic leaves.
It is laden with fruit. OK the fruit is currently the size of cherries but
I am exceedingly chuffed.
It only seems a few years ago that the thinking was that this thing would
not grow anywhere North of Watford.
Next stop an outdoor fruiting banana which is edible:-)

I saw one in Mount Stewart (huge house and gardens/estate) in Northern
Ireland
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...-mountstewart/
It was covered in hundreds and hundreds of ripe fruits and there were
hundreds all over the ground.
This is very close to the coast and sheltered a bit from east winds so it
might be easier there than in Yorkshire.

Des

Old 28-05-2007, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" writes:

| | Next stop an outdoor fruiting banana which is edible:-)
|
| Don't hold your breath - unless you know some people who are into
| seriously unusual genetic modification :-)
|
| Well, Dave Poole isn't far off with a potential cross between Basjoo and
| Sikkimensis. Vast quantities of Musa stuff is already Tc'd/micropropaged in
| the US and Holland.

I thought you said "edible"?

| Musa seems to be the one thing where vast amounts of money have been
| invested in research in case the few commercial varieties just croak.

Well, they should try increasing the range. The bananas we get are the
least interesting of any variety I have had.

| Personally, I would be happy with an avocado ....
|
| There is one variety of Avocado (Persea americana xx?) that is growing and
| fruiting in the concrete jungle of London but I suggest you stick with
| strawberries for a few more years:-)

I have heard that. I have also heard that Elvis has been sighted
in London, too.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-05-2007, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Des Higgins" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
Planted two Actinidia deliciosa (Kiwi) several years ago just for the
lovely stem colour and the big exotic leaves.
It is laden with fruit. OK the fruit is currently the size of cherries
but I am exceedingly chuffed.
It only seems a few years ago that the thinking was that this thing would
not grow anywhere North of Watford.
Next stop an outdoor fruiting banana which is edible:-)

I saw one in Mount Stewart (huge house and gardens/estate) in Northern
Ireland
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...-mountstewart/
It was covered in hundreds and hundreds of ripe fruits and there were
hundreds all over the ground.
This is very close to the coast and sheltered a bit from east winds so it
might be easier there than in Yorkshire.

Des

I will settle for just one fruit but I guess we need some sort of summer
first. I naively assumed that with all that lovely weather in April that we
were in for a very long growing season with blistering heat. Perhaps the
Kiwi thought the same:-)

Old 28-05-2007, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" writes:
snip

| There is one variety of Avocado (Persea americana xx?) that is growing
and
| fruiting in the concrete jungle of London but I suggest you stick with
| strawberries for a few more years:-)

I have heard that. I have also heard that Elvis has been sighted
in London, too.

Thanks for the warning Nick that bloke will eat owlt. I hope he isn't
travelling North.

Nick Maclaren.