Old 28-05-2007, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cheryl Isaak Cheryl Isaak is offline

Default How much gravel do you really need to suppress weeds

On 5/28/07 8:57 AM, in article ,
"John Bachman" wrote:

On Mon, 28 May 2007 08:41:43 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

Especially to keep them from rooting from seeds?

What do you mean by "gravel"? Anyone involved in the road building
trades knows that gravel is a mixture of rock, sand and clay. It
forms a stable base for the road and can even form a nice dirt
road/driveway itself.

Many people mistakenly use the term "gravel" when referring to crushed
stone. Do you mean crushed stone?

I suspect that is a better term. Locally gravel is nearly synonymous with
crushed stone

If so, please elaborate on your project. Is the purpose of the
crushed stone purely weed control? Is there a drainage issue that
demands crushed stone? More details please.

OK - under the deck is a slope that is a haven for weeds and run off from
the back of the house. I'm too tall to weed under there comfortably. So I
want to suppress the weeds, make a decent parking spot for the hose and
finally fill in the (re-dug) dry well at the walk out door. I want something
stable that the run off won't carry away when it really gets moving (about
once a year).

I suspect the original dry well stopped working when washout filled it in.

Cheryl