Old 28-05-2007, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How much gravel do you really need to suppress weeds

Especially to keep them from rooting from seeds?

Cheryl

Old 28-05-2007, 01:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 28 May 2007 08:41:43 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

Especially to keep them from rooting from seeds?

What do you mean by "gravel"? Anyone involved in the road building
trades knows that gravel is a mixture of rock, sand and clay. It
forms a stable base for the road and can even form a nice dirt
road/driveway itself.

Many people mistakenly use the term "gravel" when referring to crushed
stone. Do you mean crushed stone?

If so, please elaborate on your project. Is the purpose of the
crushed stone purely weed control? Is there a drainage issue that
demands crushed stone? More details please.

John
Old 29-05-2007, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Especially to keep them from rooting from seeds?

What do you mean by "gravel"? Anyone involved in the road building
trades knows that gravel is a mixture of rock, sand and clay. It
forms a stable base for the road and can even form a nice dirt
road/driveway itself.

Many people mistakenly use the term "gravel" when referring to crushed
stone. Do you mean crushed stone?

Uhhhh, who is mistaken here?

If so, please elaborate on your project. Is the purpose of the
crushed stone purely weed control? Is there a drainage issue that
demands crushed stone? More details please.

John

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravel

Depends upon where you live and who is involved in the road building
trades and what kind of roads you are building, I guess, John.

My bother-in-law is a sales manager for Norris Aggregates. They sell
millions of tons of gravel or crushed stone for roads and concrete and
all sorts of construction projects.

My son owns a truck and hauls gravel, or crushed stone, as you call
it. He is currently involved in hauling 3 inch base rock for the
access raods to a wind farm being constructed in the area. This is
laid directly upon the subgrade.

After the 3 inch base is laid and compacted, they will overlay with
1 1/2 inch rock.

No sand, No clay. Just gravel, rock, crushed stone.... same stuff.

They then have a road.... capable of supporting the extremely heavy
loads, of tower, blade, turbine and control components that will be
transported over these roads.

No mix of sand gravel and clay.

Perhaps you were thinking of concrete? If so, it is a mixture of
cement, gravel (crushed stone) and water and whatever specialty
additives necessary for the project requirements?

Son also hauls sand to one of the local ready mix plants. He doesn't
haul if there has been rain enough to cause any mud on the access road
as any mud buildup on his truck frame that falls into the dump area
has the potential to ruin the mix.

Any clay in the mixture will ruin it and the load will be rejected.

Perhaps things are done differently in your area, I can't speak for
that, buth then again you cannot speak for all inclusively about

Once again, here is a basic primer on gravel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravel

Should you desire more information, I am sure Bill (the Bro-in-Law)
will be happy to forward me what he knows.

I can also have my son request information from a classmate of his who
is now general manager for **** Construction, KC division, a family
held business that contracts all over the state of Missouri.

Perhaps you meant a sand-clay road.

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache...k &cd=1&gl=us

Ouch, be more careful, that's gotta hurt, John
Charlie
Old 29-05-2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Especially to keep them from rooting from seeds?

Several inches to a foot or so, depending on how well it packs (I
assume you're talking something like pea gravel).
However, as the surface collects "soil" from detritus blowing in and/or
rotting, you'll form more pockets that will allow seeds to germinate.

Old 29-05-2007, 04:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Especially to keep them from rooting from seeds?

Cheryl

If the conditions are right, no realistic depth of gravel will prevent
germinated seed from finding soil.
Dave

Old 29-05-2007, 04:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Especially to keep them from rooting from seeds?

Cheryl

Depending on what type you use it may take 4 - 8 inches but if you are
willing to put up with a few weeds you can get away with using "only" 3
inches of small sized gravel.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 29-05-2007, 11:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/28/07 11:13 PM, in article
et, "Dave"
wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Especially to keep them from rooting from seeds?

Cheryl

If the conditions are right, no realistic depth of gravel will prevent
germinated seed from finding soil.
Dave

I do realize that.

I don't mind the once a season weeding (spring, summer, fall clean up).
gravel has got to be better than the massive crop that is there week after
week with bare soil.

Old 29-05-2007, 11:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/28/07 11:32 PM, in article ,
"Bill R" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Especially to keep them from rooting from seeds?

Cheryl

Depending on what type you use it may take 4 - 8 inches but if you are
willing to put up with a few weeds you can get away with using "only" 3
inches of small sized gravel.

I'll go for 4, I think more will have a potential "slide" issue.

Old 29-05-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

It still has to be easier to maintain than what I currently have! LOL

Will you be mowing near your gravel? In my experience, there's no such thing
as truly contained gravel. And gravel slung by lawnmower blades is
a lot tougher on both the blades and on the thing the gravel hits than
an organic mulch of some flavor.

Dry lawn clippings make great mulch that needs to be renewed once a year
or so... much less work than gravel. Just make sure the clippings come from
plants not recently treated with herbicide.
Old 30-05-2007, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 29 May 2007 21:42:02 GMT, Kay Lancaster wrote:

It still has to be easier to maintain than what I currently have! LOL

Will you be mowing near your gravel? In my experience, there's no such thing
as truly contained gravel. And gravel slung by lawnmower blades is
a lot tougher on both the blades and on the thing the gravel hits than
an organic mulch of some flavor.

Dry lawn clippings make great mulch that needs to be renewed once a year
or so... much less work than gravel. Just make sure the clippings come from
plants not recently treated with herbicide.

Well, if you are using the clippings to suppress weeds and are not
putting them where you want to grow something what does the herbicide
hurt? I think that fits the bill for the OP.

John