Old 28-05-2007, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Bloomin eck

"Des Higgins" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
Planted two Actinidia deliciosa (Kiwi) several years ago just for the
lovely stem colour and the big exotic leaves.
It is laden with fruit. OK the fruit is currently the size of cherries
but I am exceedingly chuffed.
It only seems a few years ago that the thinking was that this thing would
not grow anywhere North of Watford.
Next stop an outdoor fruiting banana which is edible:-)

I saw one in Mount Stewart (huge house and gardens/estate) in Northern
Ireland
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...-mountstewart/
It was covered in hundreds and hundreds of ripe fruits and there were
hundreds all over the ground.
This is very close to the coast and sheltered a bit from east winds so it
might be easier there than in Yorkshire.

Des

I will settle for just one fruit but I guess we need some sort of summer
first. I naively assumed that with all that lovely weather in April that we
were in for a very long growing season with blistering heat. Perhaps the
Kiwi thought the same:-)