Old 28-05-2007, 11:24 PM posted to austin.gardening
jangchub jangchub is offline

Default rain good - water bill low - grass growing - flowers blooming

On Mon, 28 May 2007 12:21:41 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

jangchub wrote:
YAY! I'm loving it too. Not many mosquitoes around here though. I
don't know why. Two ponds. Hmmmm.

If you have fish in your ponds or lots of water flow, mosquitoes won't
breed there.

Actually, we originally bought four 25 cent goldfish. They were one
inch thick. After three years they grew to be about 12 inches and
FAT. A heron came down and pierced one under the dorsal fin and the
next door dog barked and the heron dropped it and left. So, it died
for no reason. Then, the resident racoon did a job scratching them up
so I took them and donated them to Hill Country Ponds on 183. I visit
them! They're still growing.

I do have moving water by waterfall in one pond, in the other one we
have that water bell thing. It makes a globe of water? What's that
called? BUT, we also live directly in the flight path of the McNeil
Bridge where there exists the second largest urban bat colony in the
United States. They hang out all night and eat everything in sight.

Maybe I'm just lucky. Last night our sangha met here and I put out
incense, lots of it and no mosquitoes. Who knows.