Old 28-05-2007, 03:34 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default rain good - water bill low - grass growing - flowers blooming

this is yard fantasy land right now, except for the mosquitoes - correcto?
Old 28-05-2007, 03:49 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Mon, 28 May 2007 02:34:41 GMT, jOhN
wrote:

this is yard fantasy land right now, except for the mosquitoes - correcto?

YAY! I'm loving it too. Not many mosquitoes around here though. I
don't know why. Two ponds. Hmmmm.
Old 28-05-2007, 05:48 AM posted to austin.gardening

jOhN wrote:
this is yard fantasy land right now, except for the mosquitoes - correcto?

Not in the eyes of the Austin Water Department!
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Old 28-05-2007, 06:32 AM posted to austin.gardening

"jOhN" wrote in message
. net...
this is yard fantasy land right now, except for the mosquitoes - correcto?

Lucked out myself too. Laid some more soil out in some bare areas. Grass
seed has needed little water added to keep soil moist. Another bare area is
covered with newborne grass.

Haven't seen any "skeeters" yet. Seeing mushrooms on/off again in unusual
locations.

Drought moved east.
Dave

Old 28-05-2007, 07:30 AM posted to austin.gardening

Dave wrote:
"jOhN" wrote in message
. net...

this is yard fantasy land right now, except for the mosquitoes - correcto?

Lucked out myself too. Laid some more soil out in some bare areas. Grass
seed has needed little water added to keep soil moist. Another bare area is
covered with newborne grass.

Haven't seen any "skeeters" yet. Seeing mushrooms on/off again in unusual
locations.

Drought moved east.
Dave

jeez, while I was online for the last hour or so a skeeter and a fly
committed suicide in my shiraz - this is inside the house

obviously they had problems handling alcoholic drinks

Old 28-05-2007, 06:21 PM posted to austin.gardening

jangchub wrote:
YAY! I'm loving it too. Not many mosquitoes around here though. I
don't know why. Two ponds. Hmmmm.

If you have fish in your ponds or lots of water flow, mosquitoes won't
breed there.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 28-05-2007, 06:30 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
hlink.net...
jOhN wrote:
this is yard fantasy land right now, except for the mosquitoes -
correcto?

Not in the eyes of the Austin Water Department!
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

I remember a time in the late 90's when we had a similar situation and the
San Antonio Water System actually proposed a rate hike because we were not
using enough water and they were going broke.

Cliff

Old 28-05-2007, 11:24 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Mon, 28 May 2007 12:21:41 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

jangchub wrote:
YAY! I'm loving it too. Not many mosquitoes around here though. I
don't know why. Two ponds. Hmmmm.

If you have fish in your ponds or lots of water flow, mosquitoes won't
breed there.

Actually, we originally bought four 25 cent goldfish. They were one
inch thick. After three years they grew to be about 12 inches and
FAT. A heron came down and pierced one under the dorsal fin and the
next door dog barked and the heron dropped it and left. So, it died
for no reason. Then, the resident racoon did a job scratching them up
so I took them and donated them to Hill Country Ponds on 183. I visit
them! They're still growing.

I do have moving water by waterfall in one pond, in the other one we
have that water bell thing. It makes a globe of water? What's that
called? BUT, we also live directly in the flight path of the McNeil
Bridge where there exists the second largest urban bat colony in the
United States. They hang out all night and eat everything in sight.

Maybe I'm just lucky. Last night our sangha met here and I put out
incense, lots of it and no mosquitoes. Who knows.
Old 30-05-2007, 05:20 AM posted to austin.gardening

. net...

Old 30-05-2007, 05:22 AM posted to austin.gardening

Tons of mosquitos at my house. Has anyone noticed more leaves falling
lately? My live oaks have started dropping some leaves and I wondered
if it's due to all the rain?
Linda

. net...