Old 30-05-2007, 06:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dave Dave is offline

Default Cutting tomatoes

"Aluckyguess" wrote in message

"Steve Calvin" wrote in message
cloud dreamer wrote:
Aluckyguess wrote:
My tomatoes are like 8 ft tall should I cut them down or just let them
grow. I think I have a little to much Nitrogen in my soil this year. I
am starting to get tomatoes, so should I just let it be.

KA

taking moment to comprehend an eight foot tall tomato plant

If the tomatoes are coming in, you might want to suspend growth. You
want the energy to go into fruit production now, not more green growth.
Just pinch off all the those little suckers as they sprout on the top
end....if you can reach it...

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East, the land of short tomato plants.

Geeze, I thought mine were doing well. I have one lonely tomato that's
about golf ball sized already. But the plants are only about 18" or so.

I'd take the above advice and stunt any further plant growth.

Where the devil are ya?

Southern California.

Makes sense. The one of few localities to have decent warmth and sun for
warm crops this early. Course its been dry there too. Desert aided by
artificial water availability. Use water while you got it.

My tomato plants are short 1.5 ft. tall things. Lotsa flowers. No fruit
yet. Sunny weather and heat will make the difference soon. Jalopenos
haven't started flowering yet.
Dave