Old 30-05-2007, 10:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Paul M. Paul M. is offline

Default Question about an unusual pond set up

I have constructed a pond that does not recirculate water, but
intercepts well water from a campus cooling system and runs it through
the pond prior to flowing into the storm sewer. The water is cool
and clear, but tends to warm up while it moves through the pond. Temp
can be regulated by the rate of well water flow through the pond.

Alas it grows algae. I have experience with a a similar sculpture
pool with the same water set up that we periodically shock the pool
with swimming pool chemicals and periodic scrubbing to keep clean.

The intent of the new pond is more 'naturalistic' and I would like to
keep water plants etc. which wouldn't like being chemically
shocked!!! I thought perhaps some fish could keep the algae in some
sort of equillibrium. The water does not turn green because of the
constant water turnover, but algae grows from the bottom. Does
anyone see hope for fish??? to be seasonally kept in such a set up to
control algae, or other suggestions?

Thanks

Paul m.