Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
George Shirley

Default Paper or Plastic

I use several thicknesses of newspaper covered with a good mulch of
chopped leaves, etc. No weed problem to speak of as long as I remember
to weed the part where the veggies are growing. Have been doing this for
many (as in a great many) years with no problems to speak of. Also holds
in the moisture if you get a dry summer and helps to hold it when you
water.

George

FDR wrote:

I have a pretty bad weed situation in my garden every year. Last year was
better with a few inches of mulch but I want a better solution. Do you
think it's better to put down a base of plastic or newspaper then cover with
mulch?

I grow mostly tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, asparagus and beans.

Thanks