Old 29-03-2003, 02:44 PM
FDR

Default Paper or Plastic

I have a pretty bad weed situation in my garden every year. Last year was
better with a few inches of mulch but I want a better solution. Do you
think it's better to put down a base of plastic or newspaper then cover with
mulch?

I grow mostly tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, asparagus and beans.

Thanks

Old 29-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 14:28:44 GMT, "FDR"
wrote:

I have a pretty bad weed situation in my garden every year. Last year was
better with a few inches of mulch but I want a better solution. Do you
think it's better to put down a base of plastic or newspaper then cover with
mulch?

I grow mostly tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, asparagus and beans.

If I can get it, I prefer to use a very thick layer of
organic mulch (straw, grass clippings, hay) - about a foot
thick.

Pat
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
George Shirley

I use several thicknesses of newspaper covered with a good mulch of
chopped leaves, etc. No weed problem to speak of as long as I remember
to weed the part where the veggies are growing. Have been doing this for
many (as in a great many) years with no problems to speak of. Also holds
in the moisture if you get a dry summer and helps to hold it when you
water.

George

Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
ecologicals

Paper because cellulose decomposes and helps feed the soil. Plastic sheeting
breaks down and adds nothing in the way of nutrients that will benefit your
soil.

--
John H. Immink

http://www.renaissancegardens.com/
Outgoing email scanned by Norton 2002

Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Minteeleaf

FDR wrote:

I have a pretty bad weed situation in my garden every year. Last year was
better with a few inches of mulch but I want a better solution. Do you
think it's better to put down a base of plastic or newspaper then cover with
mulch?

I grow mostly tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, asparagus and beans.

Thanks

The best veggie/fruit garden I ever had was mulched with 14"
of free grass clippings obtained from my neighbor's very
neglected yard. We were both happy. The garden produced like mad.
The strawberry patch, which had been planted with 25 plants
during the previous year, yielded 70 quarts of glorious fruit.
We couldn't keep up with the produce & were giving it to anyone
who wanted it after we got ours. My garden that year was very
nearly weed-free. It was a happy time!

Minteeleaf