Old 31-05-2007, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
betsyb betsyb is offline

Default ID help: tree, and red spikes on leaves

"Treedweller" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 May 2007 17:53:05 -0400, "betsyb"
wrote:

"beecrofter" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 29, 1:52 pm, Simon W wrote:
Hi all,

I need some help identifying the kind of tree outside my house planted
by the city several years ago.

More importantly I'd like to know what those ugly "red spikes" on some
of the leaves are. Are they mite galls? If so, how to get rid of them?
About 20% of the leaves have these spikes.

Here are some pictures I just took today:

Entire tree:http://poboxes.podzone.org/tmp/tree_overall.jpg

Leaves close-up:http://poboxes.podzone.org/tmp/good_leaves.jpg

Spikes:http://poboxes.podzone.org/tmp/spike...mp/spikes4.jpg

Thanks and have a nice day.

Eriophyid mites, my hort instructor said they were named by someone
who hated vowells. Nothing to be done about them, no harm to the tree.
Now you have a scrabble word guaranteed to elicit a challange.

Too many letters?

Betsy

One might add "eriophy" to "id" assuming this word is in the official
dictionary.

Not in the dictionary on my Hasbro online Scrabble game? Sorry.

Betsy