Old 29-05-2007, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default ID help: tree, and red spikes on leaves

Hi all,

I need some help identifying the kind of tree outside my house planted
by the city several years ago.

More importantly I'd like to know what those ugly "red spikes" on some
of the leaves are. Are they mite galls? If so, how to get rid of them?
About 20% of the leaves have these spikes.

Here are some pictures I just took today:

Entire tree:
http://poboxes.podzone.org/tmp/tree_overall.jpg

Leaves close-up:
http://poboxes.podzone.org/tmp/good_leaves.jpg

Spikes:
http://poboxes.podzone.org/tmp/spikes1.jpg
http://poboxes.podzone.org/tmp/spikes2.jpg
http://poboxes.podzone.org/tmp/spikes3.jpg
http://poboxes.podzone.org/tmp/spikes4.jpg

Thanks and have a nice day.

Old 29-05-2007, 07:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message om, Simon
W writes
Hi all,

I need some help identifying the kind of tree outside my house planted
by the city several years ago.

More importantly I'd like to know what those ugly "red spikes" on some
of the leaves are. Are they mite galls? If so, how to get rid of them?
About 20% of the leaves have these spikes.

Here are some pictures I just took today:

Entire tree:
http://poboxes.podzone.org/tmp/tree_overall.jpg

Leaves close-up:
http://poboxes.podzone.org/tmp/good_leaves.jpg

Spikes:
http://poboxes.podzone.org/tmp/spikes1.jpg
http://poboxes.podzone.org/tmp/spikes2.jpg
http://poboxes.podzone.org/tmp/spikes3.jpg
http://poboxes.podzone.org/tmp/spikes4.jpg

Thanks and have a nice day.

It's a lime (linden, basswood). I don't recognise the species, but from
the white underside to the leaf (and it not looking like Tilia
tomentosa) I'd guess at one of the forms of Tilia americana var
heterophylla. The third "white" lime is Tilia oliveri.

http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Tilia/gallery.html

The "spikes" are nail galls. According to the RHS (Royal Horticultural
Society, UK) you can't get rid of them, but they're harmless and should
be tolerated.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile..._gall_mite.asp
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 29-05-2007, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 29, 1:52 pm, Simon W wrote:
Hi all,

I need some help identifying the kind of tree outside my house planted
by the city several years ago.

More importantly I'd like to know what those ugly "red spikes" on some
of the leaves are. Are they mite galls? If so, how to get rid of them?
About 20% of the leaves have these spikes.

Here are some pictures I just took today:

Entire tree:http://poboxes.podzone.org/tmp/tree_overall.jpg

Leaves close-up:http://poboxes.podzone.org/tmp/good_leaves.jpg

Spikes:http://poboxes.podzone.org/tmp/spike...mp/spikes4.jpg

Thanks and have a nice day.

Eriophyid mites, my hort instructor said they were named by someone
who hated vowells. Nothing to be done about them, no harm to the tree.
Now you have a scrabble word guaranteed to elicit a challange.

Old 30-05-2007, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

"beecrofter" wrote in message
ps.com...
On May 29, 1:52 pm, Simon W wrote:
Hi all,

I need some help identifying the kind of tree outside my house planted
by the city several years ago.

More importantly I'd like to know what those ugly "red spikes" on some
of the leaves are. Are they mite galls? If so, how to get rid of them?
About 20% of the leaves have these spikes.

Here are some pictures I just took today:

Entire tree:http://poboxes.podzone.org/tmp/tree_overall.jpg

Leaves close-up:http://poboxes.podzone.org/tmp/good_leaves.jpg

Spikes:http://poboxes.podzone.org/tmp/spike...mp/spikes4.jpg

Thanks and have a nice day.

Eriophyid mites, my hort instructor said they were named by someone
who hated vowells. Nothing to be done about them, no harm to the tree.
Now you have a scrabble word guaranteed to elicit a challange.

Too many letters?

Betsy

Old 31-05-2007, 02:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 30 May 2007 17:53:05 -0400, "betsyb"
wrote:

"beecrofter" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 29, 1:52 pm, Simon W wrote:
Hi all,

I need some help identifying the kind of tree outside my house planted
by the city several years ago.

More importantly I'd like to know what those ugly "red spikes" on some
of the leaves are. Are they mite galls? If so, how to get rid of them?
About 20% of the leaves have these spikes.

Here are some pictures I just took today:

Entire tree:http://poboxes.podzone.org/tmp/tree_overall.jpg

Leaves close-up:http://poboxes.podzone.org/tmp/good_leaves.jpg

Spikes:http://poboxes.podzone.org/tmp/spike...mp/spikes4.jpg

Thanks and have a nice day.

Eriophyid mites, my hort instructor said they were named by someone
who hated vowells. Nothing to be done about them, no harm to the tree.
Now you have a scrabble word guaranteed to elicit a challange.

Too many letters?

Betsy

One might add "eriophy" to "id" assuming this word is in the official
dictionary.

Old 31-05-2007, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

"beecrofter" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 29, 1:52 pm, Simon W wrote:
[...]

Not in the dictionary on my Hasbro online Scrabble game? Sorry.

Betsy

[IMG] code is On

Red blueberry leaves and a black powder on the edge of sunflower leaves. BlackThumb Gardening 4 10-06-2012 02:12 AM
red spikes 1 paul[_2_] Garden Photos 0 22-08-2009 02:03 PM
Phaleonopsis growing new leaves on spikes? BruceM Orchids 8 11-09-2007 05:34 AM
red, red, red rose [email protected] Gardening 4 26-04-2005 03:16 PM
Leaves, leaves and yet more leaves! John Towill United Kingdom 12 01-11-2003 12:43 PM