Old 31-05-2007, 06:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Bob Bauer[_2_] Bob Bauer[_2_] is offline

Default crown gall (was: To Gail and Jeffrey)

Gail said
Nice to see you posting again. I've tried
to stay active here, along with a few other
folk. I'm certainly willing to get into
discussions..

Hi Gail, I guess I need to ask specifically if you are aware if there
has been any posting here by the folks who previously destroyed this
group in the last year or two? I really would like to know.

So here's my comment and question:
I seem to have trouble with crown gall or
canker...

It sounds like you have long experience with this problem. I have no
first hand knowledge, but have read quite a bit about crown gall.

Crown gall is a bacterial infection that triggers a DNA anomaly in the
plant tissue producing a growth hormore that makes the cells grow in
an uncontrolled cancer like manner.

The bad bacterium is called Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Being a
bacteria that has a "saprophyte" or dormant form, it can live in
organic debris for several years. It is spread from soil to plant by
ground water or by rain splashing, and causes a new infection if that
soil or splash hits a fresh scape or gouge within 24 hours or so of
the injury.

Recommendations I have seen say to not replant in the same area at all
for 5 years. Although that seems pretty extreme to me unless you have
unlimited space.

Spraying both the soil and the plant with insecticide to prevent
chewing insects that cause plant wounds is recommended also.

Good luck. Sounds like a real headache!

Bob Bauer
http://www.rose-roses.com/