Old 31-05-2007, 06:35 PM posted to triangle.gardens
[email protected] Liteshoe@gmail.com is offline

Default Gardenia with leaves turning yellow

Ditto on the whitefly.
Try an insecticidal soap, and after dusk so as not to damage any late-
foraging bees.
(Bees need all the friends they can get these days).

On May 30, 9:58 am, "me" wrote:
"David Cagle" wrote in message

We have three gardenias in front of the house which get direct
sunlight
until 2-3ish. Then they are in the shade the rest of the day. We
recently
replaced one because its leaves turned yellow and fell off. This
was two
weeks ago. Now the leaves on the new one have started to turn
yellow around
the bottom (all the way from the bottom to probably 1/4 the way up).
The
other two gardenias have always been fine. All three recently just
bloomed
too. I was suprised the new one bloomed but it did. But now we are
worried
that this new one will loose its leaves eventually too. I read on
the
internet last night to add some epsom salt, so I did that. It is to
combat
magnesium deficiency if I remember right. I'm thinking that
particular
gardenia is getting too much water. It is on an automatic dripline
and it
goes every other day for about 17 minutes. That particular gardenia
is on
the end of the dripline but the dripline wraps around the bush to
tie off
the line. I turned the dripline off yesterday to see if that will
help any.
Anyone else have any ideas on why this one gardenia could be turning
yellow?
Poor drainage maybe? I understand some leaves will turn yellow and
just
fall off, part of being a plant but the whole bottom prortion should
not be
turning yellow

This may be unrelated, but I found that my large gardinia had white
fly. This was causing the same symptoms you describe.

As far as watering, we let our irrigation run only 10 minutes 3 times
a week.