Old 01-06-2007, 07:56 AM posted to austin.gardening
Dave Dave is offline

Default Question about new sod under trees (attn Arborists!)

"Treedweller" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 May 2007 21:17:35 GMT,
(Scott Harper) wrote:

Sorry about the double posting, just wanted to make sure the title caught
our
local arborists' attention, since this is as much a question about trees
as it
is sod...

I'm thinking about putting in some sod. I know "technically" the best way
do it is to get rid of all the other grass/weeds that is already there,
lightly till (or rake) up the soil, and put the sod down on that.

I know there are varying opinions on how to get rid of the existing
vegetation, but I would be inclined to spray it with round up to kill it
off
first, then rake it up. I am NOT too crazy about trying to pull it all up
while it is still alive. And tilling really isn't a great option because
of
the shallow soil depth on top of a rocky base.

The area under consideration happens to be under some live oaks. Part of
what

is growing there is literally hundreds of little oak saplings sprouting up
under and around the trees. My concern is that if I were to spray all of
them

with round up, that would make its way into the trees' root systems and
harm
them as well -- which I definitely don't want to do.

Would spraying round up under those trees harm them?

Would I have a chance in hades of the sod taking if I laid it on top of
the
existing vegetation?

scott

All those little sprouts (or most of them, anyway) are coming from the
trees' root system. It would definitely be a bad idea to spray them
with roundup.

For that matter, it would be a bad idea to plant sod under the trees.
Mulch the area under the canopies with wood chips or similar material
and plant grass where you have open sunny areas (if you must). If you
have no such open areas, count yourself lucky!

Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX-0236AT

Live Oak doesn't do that. Sprouts don't exist per se. Only the acorn can
produce such a growth if Live Oak. Looking at native Live Oak in S. central
TX. All the same. Quack arborist.
Dave