Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default W. H. survived winter

Where are you located? Our winter got to 20 degrees, briefly (Jackson, MS).
The WH got no protection at all. We had ice about 1/2" thick for a few
days. The majority of the WH plants died. A significant number made it
through (~25%).

Last year we put plastic over our WH and had more like a 70% survival rate.
Maybe we will do that again next year to get a running start. We had
several hundred last year. It is a good way to start the season.

-- JIM
Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"Beak 21" wrote in message
Some of my water hyacinth survived the harsh winter with just a plastic
sheet over the pond. It got down to below 30 degrees also. they are
starting to send out new growth. Who else has this happening?