Old 02-06-2007, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer[_3_] cloud dreamer[_3_] is offline

Default Pea supports

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
I'm growing some sugar snap peas. I've stuck tomato stakes in the ground
near each pea plant but it doesn't look like they are going to grab on to
the sticks by themselves. Do I need to tie the peas to the stakes or is
there some other method for providing support that will work better?

I grow Little Marvel and use straight 4' or 6' bamboo sticks. When the
plants are a few inches high, I just stick one in the ground next to
each plant. The shoots will find them. As they grow and I see the shoots
looking for something to grab on to, I just insert another bamboo stick
next to it. Each plant usually gets 3 or 4 sticks and hold it up no problem.

..

--

We must change the way we live,
or the climate will do it for us.