Old 02-06-2007, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Pea supports

I'm growing some sugar snap peas. I've stuck tomato stakes in the ground
near each pea plant but it doesn't look like they are going to grab on to
the sticks by themselves. Do I need to tie the peas to the stakes or is
there some other method for providing support that will work better?

Old 02-06-2007, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
I'm growing some sugar snap peas. I've stuck tomato stakes in the ground
near each pea plant but it doesn't look like they are going to grab on to
the sticks by themselves. Do I need to tie the peas to the stakes or is
there some other method for providing support that will work better?

I grow Little Marvel and use straight 4' or 6' bamboo sticks. When the
plants are a few inches high, I just stick one in the ground next to
each plant. The shoots will find them. As they grow and I see the shoots
looking for something to grab on to, I just insert another bamboo stick
next to it. Each plant usually gets 3 or 4 sticks and hold it up no problem.

..

--

We must change the way we live,
or the climate will do it for us.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

General Schvantzkoph wrote in
news
I'm growing some sugar snap peas. I've stuck tomato stakes in the
ground near each pea plant but it doesn't look like they are going to
grab on to the sticks by themselves. Do I need to tie the peas to the
stakes or is there some other method for providing support that will
work better?

You're supposed to provide support for your peas? I've just put mine in
the ground and let them go. I do that with the bush beans I plant too.

Puckdropper

Old 03-06-2007, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Puckdropper wrote:
General Schvantzkoph wrote in
news
I'm growing some sugar snap peas. I've stuck tomato stakes in the
ground near each pea plant but it doesn't look like they are going to
grab on to the sticks by themselves. Do I need to tie the peas to the
stakes or is there some other method for providing support that will
work better?

You're supposed to provide support for your peas? I've just put mine in
the ground and let them go. I do that with the bush beans I plant too.

Puckdropper

Can do it either way. Some don't have the room to let them stay on the
ground...others find the peas are a target by pests if they leave them
down. I like the convenience of being able to see the pea pods easily.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 2, 8:23 pm, cloud dreamer wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

Also depends on the variety. You can get ones that grow 2' to 3' tall
and don't need staking, or ones that grow over 6' and need support.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

My feeling is that the more the Sun can penetrate into the vine, the
more photosynthesis you'll get and fewer problems from humidity. I just
put a couple of 2 x 4 vertically in the ground and then nail a brace to
the top to keep the two vertical posts immobilized (posts and lentil
type set-up). Then I stretch some large opening type wire fencing
between the polls and nail it into place. Real low tech. When I replace
it, I'll probably put in metal pipes for my posts and lentil because I
think the heat is transfered from the posts into the ground.
Bon appetit,

- Billy

Pea or not a pea Marq United Kingdom 2 26-03-2010 11:24 AM
Intruder unfriendly plant supports Jim W United Kingdom 10 23-07-2003 11:32 PM
AD: Versatile product for repairing Grape vine trellis wires, deer stand supports, fences: Jake's W C&C Fencing Supply Lawns 0 04-04-2003 08:32 PM
making peony supports Phisherman Gardening 5 04-03-2003 12:15 PM
How long to keep Palm tree supports before removal??? Stu Gardening 1 25-02-2003 03:27 PM