Old 02-06-2007, 11:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
High Miles High Miles is offline

Default Briggs and Stratton engines dont last!!

AndyS wrote:
On Apr 21, 2:32 pm, wrote:
I know 3 lawn mowing services. They run all different engines, briggs
and stratton, Honda, and then Mike uses all Kohler. Mikes operation as
the largest by far.
The man and wife that use Honda engines are doing great, they say they
spend about 10% more for equipment, but honda engines last forever!
Mike that uses Kohler engines loves them and hate B.S. engines because
he sais they cost the same but run 4 times longer.
The guy Tom that uses the briggs engines is in bad shape. He spends so
much time and money fixing his engines he cant work a full schedule!!!
The pick of lawn services---Kohler!!!

Andy writes:
The question is " Is there something about the design,or the metal
used,
or the assembly procedures that makes one brand of engine better
than the others ??"

Otherwise, we have a case where a person who buys cheap engines
finds
they don't last as long as a person who buys more expensive engines.

It could well be the person who owns the engines and not the engines
themselves...

I would very much appreciate any comments on exactly WHY a
B & S engine doesn't last as long.... I'm not question it, but I
haven't
observed it myself, and would like to understand the problem...

Andy in Eureka, Texas

I have both Briggs and Kohler, take good care of them and they last
forever. Neither tractor gets babied and mowers are used to grind
compostable materials as well as regular cutting.
One of the Briggs is 22 years old - still doing it's job.
Luck of the draw, good maintenance ...........................who knows.

Dorothy