Old 21-04-2007, 08:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Briggs and Stratton engines dont last!!

I know 3 lawn mowing services. They run all different engines, briggs
and stratton, Honda, and then Mike uses all Kohler. Mikes operation as
the largest by far.
The man and wife that use Honda engines are doing great, they say they
spend about 10% more for equipment, but honda engines last forever!
Mike that uses Kohler engines loves them and hate B.S. engines because
he sais they cost the same but run 4 times longer.
The guy Tom that uses the briggs engines is in bad shape. He spends so
much time and money fixing his engines he cant work a full schedule!!!
The pick of lawn services---Kohler!!!

Old 31-05-2007, 11:57 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 21, 2:32 pm, wrote:
I know 3 lawn mowing services. They run all different engines, briggs
and stratton, Honda, and then Mike uses all Kohler. Mikes operation as
the largest by far.
The man and wife that use Honda engines are doing great, they say they
spend about 10% more for equipment, but honda engines last forever!
Mike that uses Kohler engines loves them and hate B.S. engines because
he sais they cost the same but run 4 times longer.
The guy Tom that uses the briggs engines is in bad shape. He spends so
much time and money fixing his engines he cant work a full schedule!!!
The pick of lawn services---Kohler!!!

Andy writes:
The question is " Is there something about the design,or the metal
used,
or the assembly procedures that makes one brand of engine better
than the others ??"

Otherwise, we have a case where a person who buys cheap engines
finds
they don't last as long as a person who buys more expensive engines.

It could well be the person who owns the engines and not the engines
themselves...

I would very much appreciate any comments on exactly WHY a
B & S engine doesn't last as long.... I'm not question it, but I
haven't
observed it myself, and would like to understand the problem...

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Old 02-06-2007, 11:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Andy writes:
The question is " Is there something about the design,or the metal
used,
or the assembly procedures that makes one brand of engine better
than the others ??"

Otherwise, we have a case where a person who buys cheap engines
finds
they don't last as long as a person who buys more expensive engines.

It could well be the person who owns the engines and not the engines
themselves...

I would very much appreciate any comments on exactly WHY a
B & S engine doesn't last as long.... I'm not question it, but I
haven't
observed it myself, and would like to understand the problem...

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Hey Andy..............

I have both Briggs and Kohler, take good care of them and they last
forever. Neither tractor gets babied and mowers are used to grind
compostable materials as well as regular cutting.
One of the Briggs is 22 years old - still doing it's job.
Luck of the draw, good maintenance ...........................who knows.

Dorothy

Old 03-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Registered User

Location: Hole in the woods,Florida. USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Miles View Post

Andy writes:
[...]

MAINTENANCE is the KEY word here. If taken care of they are all about the same, I have seen more problems with Kohler than Briggs. Again maintenance plays a big part to the longevity of any engine/equipment.
__________________
15 yr. Briggs & Stratton Master Service Technician
Kohler Factory Trained
Tecumsea
Honda
Kawasaki