Old 03-06-2007, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC JennyC is offline

Default Chelsea coverage by the BBC

"JennyC" wrote
"cliff_the_gardener"
On 27 May, 13:41, "JennyC" wrote:
I've been catching up with the progs I taped of the evening coverage of
the show.....
Were as many of you as disappointed as I was??

Jenny

I share your dissapointment.
So I wonder - are the BBC not allowed to show us everything, so that
there is something to go for?

I have a family member who has contacts within the RHS ...........will
makes noises in his direction :~))
Jenny

Noises duly made...........here's the reply.......

quote:
" As far as I understand it, the BBC is very much a free agent and under its
contract with the RHS, Alan Titchmarsh, Carol Klein, Joe Swift et al., are
free to go where their producers want them too and to talk amongst
themselves for as long as they like. Of course, the RHS reserves the right
not to renew the TV contract and, you may recall, the RHS did sack its TV
contractor a few years ago when it was either ITV or Channel 4. There are
some liaison meetings before Chelsea to enable the BBC to know what sort of
gardens and exhibits will be there and who will be designing or mounting
what in the pavilions so that the BBC can generate some background ‘colour’
items in advance of the Show but to be shown at the time of the Show.
However, I am assured that there are then no further meetings so as to
ensure that any assessments the BBC commentators make are completely
independent of the RHS’s judging. The only possible overlap I can see is
that the BBC was filming “A year in the life of the RHS” at the same time
during the show and for that it wanted certain RHS employees to walk around
and look at things, but again it seemed to be the producers who were
deciding which bits they wanted the participants to react to."
unquote

Jenny