Old 28-05-2007, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chelsea coverage by the BBC

On May 28, 12:11 pm, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)"
wrote:

Perhaps, like me, you are just becoming a crotchety old fart:-)

Rupert!!!! What an admission.

Chelsea is a heavily sponsored commercial financial event and it's designed
to appeal to the widest audience, which unfortunately means there is not
much that will appeal to you/me or the odd thousand of other gardeners.

I was listening to local radio last week on the way to the airport and
they had a Chelsea half hour. What a waste of time, all they did was
celebrity spot. I couldn't be bothered with the t.v. or the radio and
I have missed most of Chelsea this year.

Judith in Unsunny France

Old 28-05-2007, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

ups.com...
wrote:

Perhaps, like me, you are just becoming a crotchety old fart:-)

Rupert!!!! What an admission.

The "I shall wear purple" thing doesn't just apply to you girls:-)

Chelsea is a heavily sponsored commercial financial event and it's
designed
to appeal to the widest audience, which unfortunately means there is not
much that will appeal to you/me or the odd thousand of other gardeners.

I was listening to local radio last week on the way to the airport and
they had a Chelsea half hour. What a waste of time, all they did was
celebrity spot. I couldn't be bothered with the t.v. or the radio and
I have missed most of Chelsea this year.

I can search round and find someone who recorded the lot if you want but do
you want to spend a day or so watching for a brief snippet of something that
might interest you?

Judith in Unsunny France

Just cos you moved to France doesn't mean you get sun but I suppose all
those delightful French folk make up for the lack of sun ;-).

Old 28-05-2007, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Charlie Pridham writes

"K" wrote in message
cliff_the_gardener writes

You could say to people 'do you mean the pink one or the purple one?'
and then they'd think more than one was shown and they'd have to
describe it for you ;-)
--
Kay

Could, but when at plant sales I am trying to sell and invariably the plant
they want is not yet available except from certain outlets and with PBR
plastered all over it. Its easy enough when like a few years ago it was
"Josephine" which is a large pink double (although a few people described it
as a big purple double and were convinced they were right until shown its
picture and without the slightest embarrassment would say "Yes that's the
one"!, But when Raymond Evison decides to "Market" some clematis varieties
by calling them "Patio Clematis", "Prairie Clematis" or last years offering
" Festoon Clematis" we find that most people can't see that the plants are
exactly the same as before, just the name has changed! Its quite rare to be
able to buy a Chelsea introduction two years on and I expect its not just
clematis. But mustn't grumble at least Raymond's efforts make people think
about Clematis :~)
and as its one of the busiest weeks of the year I don't expect we would get
to see it even if it was great.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 28-05-2007, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 28, 12:39 pm, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)"
wrote:
wrote in message

Just cos you moved to France doesn't mean you get sun but I suppose all
those delightful French folk make up for the lack of sun ;-).

I haven't moved here yet Rupert, December this year is when the
removal van will bring our stuff. I am quite faint at the estimates
coming in so far, anyone would think I was moving to the North pole.

Judith

Old 29-05-2007, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

cliff_the_gardener wrote:

Fortunately on www.flickr.com Yahoo's other photo posting site, people
have posted their pics of Chelsea and I found it infinately better
than the tv coverage.

Well, this is the great power of the internet: people get to put
forward their own choices.

For the music playout suggestions I put forward Snow Patrol's "Shut
Your Eyes", but all we got was boring safe classics and Louis
Armstrong, nothing adventurous at all, yet they kept showing the
'adventurous' gardens, steam-bent oak planking etc ad nauseum.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote
"cliff_the_gardener"
On 27 May, 13:41, "JennyC" wrote:
I've been catching up with the progs I taped of the evening coverage of
the show.....
Were as many of you as disappointed as I was??

Jenny

I share your dissapointment.
So I wonder - are the BBC not allowed to show us everything, so that
there is something to go for?

I have a family member who has contacts within the RHS ...........will
makes noises in his direction :~))
Jenny

Noises duly made...........here's the reply.......

quote:
" As far as I understand it, the BBC is very much a free agent and under its
contract with the RHS, Alan Titchmarsh, Carol Klein, Joe Swift et al., are
free to go where their producers want them too and to talk amongst
themselves for as long as they like. Of course, the RHS reserves the right
not to renew the TV contract and, you may recall, the RHS did sack its TV
contractor a few years ago when it was either ITV or Channel 4. There are
some liaison meetings before Chelsea to enable the BBC to know what sort of
gardens and exhibits will be there and who will be designing or mounting
what in the pavilions so that the BBC can generate some background ‘colour’
items in advance of the Show but to be shown at the time of the Show.
However, I am assured that there are then no further meetings so as to
ensure that any assessments the BBC commentators make are completely
independent of the RHS’s judging. The only possible overlap I can see is
that the BBC was filming “A year in the life of the RHS” at the same time
during the show and for that it wanted certain RHS employees to walk around
and look at things, but again it seemed to be the producers who were
deciding which bits they wanted the participants to react to."
unquote

Jenny