Old 03-06-2007, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Small fruit tree

Frank Booth Snr writes
This sprouted from a stone in early spring. I thought it was an apricot
since I chucked the stones from eaten fruit into a trough last year.
But looking at the leaves, I'm not so sure. Looks more like a cherry.
Any ideas please?

*http://tinyurl.com/2jmckn*

I think it's apricot. Doesn't seem right for a cherry - can't put my
finger on it. Nearest I can get is that cherry is a bit greener (this is
a bit greyish green), not as smooth (cherry has more narrowly spaced
veins), cherry has more definite serrations at the edge, and is a
slightly longer oval, and more symmetrical lengthwise - this has the
bulk of the leaf towards the stalk end.

It's a long time since I've looked at an apricot tree, but these leaves
wouldn't ring alarm bells if I saw them on an apricot.
--
Kay