Old 04-06-2007, 10:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
[email protected] Nicholls.Mark@mtvne.com is offline

Default Recommendations...Single red, large upright......

Hello,

I don't know much about roses in general, but I'm thinking of planting
one or two.

My garden isn't that huge, so I'm probably looking for something that
tall ( 6ft, 15ft) but doesn't take up too much space, it doesn't
need to be too neat and tidy, but at the same time like a moyesii
would be too wild.....I like single flowers (if thats the correct
term), I'm not too fussed about scent...I quite like things like
'dortmund', 'parkdirektor riggers', 'altissisimo', but am aware that
they are climbers.....can they be grown as free standing
shrubs?.....can anyone recommend any of these in particular or
anything else?

My soil is pretty heavy clay, midlands UK, so it needs to be
reasonably hardy, it would probably be in fullish sun.