Old 04-06-2007, 10:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Recommendations...Single red, large upright......

Hello,

I don't know much about roses in general, but I'm thinking of planting
one or two.

My garden isn't that huge, so I'm probably looking for something that
tall ( 6ft, 15ft) but doesn't take up too much space, it doesn't
need to be too neat and tidy, but at the same time like a moyesii
would be too wild.....I like single flowers (if thats the correct
term), I'm not too fussed about scent...I quite like things like
'dortmund', 'parkdirektor riggers', 'altissisimo', but am aware that
they are climbers.....can they be grown as free standing
shrubs?.....can anyone recommend any of these in particular or
anything else?

My soil is pretty heavy clay, midlands UK, so it needs to be
reasonably hardy, it would probably be in fullish sun.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

I have several Dortmund I grew freestanding until I could get around to
building something on which they could climb. They can get quite large, so
they would require regular pruning if you want them to stay under control.
I bet they would to fine as a pillar; that way you could let them climb a
bit and still keep them under control. Dortmund do well with about 5-6
hours of sun, and it you don't want the plant to get too large, more light
is not of great advantage.

You can always use Help Me Fine http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/roses.php to
hunt down some more options.

As far as soil, if you amend your clay I'll bet they'll do just fine.

Cheers

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, USA, Zone 5

oups.com...

Old 05-06-2007, 11:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

wrote in message

oups.com...

Hello,

I don't know much about roses in general, but I'm thinking of planting
one or two.

My garden isn't that huge, so I'm probably looking for something that
tall ( 6ft, 15ft) but doesn't take up too much space, it doesn't
need to be too neat and tidy, but at the same time like a moyesii
would be too wild.....I like single flowers (if thats the correct
term), I'm not too fussed about scent...I quite like things like
'dortmund', 'parkdirektor riggers', 'altissisimo', but am aware that
they are climbers.....can they be grown as free standing
shrubs?.....can anyone recommend any of these in particular or
anything else?

My soil is pretty heavy clay, midlands UK, so it needs to be
reasonably hardy, it would probably be in fullish sun.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, I've seen people growing roses in a sort of iron girdle....I
wondered whether this was a good idea.

How big does Dortmund get?

Old 05-06-2007, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

asked:

.....I like single flowers (if thats the correct
term), I'm not too fussed about scent...I quite like things like
'dortmund', 'parkdirektor riggers', 'altissisimo', but am aware that
they are climbers.....can they be grown as free standing
shrubs?

Any climber can be grown as a shrub, it just depends on how you prune
it.

.....can anyone recommend any of these in particular or anything else?

Three roses come to mind. The first is the Ralph Moore floribunda
'Playtime', sort of a rusty red color, but a very prolific and
continuous bloomer if deadheaded.
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=4880

The second is the Tom Carruth rose 'Home Run' just introduced in 2006.
Carruth is the greatest hybridizer of our era in my opinion.
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=45015

The third is the well known, highly rated and widely grown Kordes
Rugosa rose, Robusta.
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=5236

My soil is pretty heavy clay, midlands UK, so it needs to be
reasonably hardy, it would probably be in fullish sun.

Since roses need an acid soil of pH 6.5 to do well, I would recommend
digging a hole 1/2 meter wide and deep, discarding the clay soil and
filling the hole with finished compost or high organic content potting
soil. Doing this will make your rose thrive. It is worth the effort
and expense.

Have a good day,

Bob Bauer
http://www.rose-roses.com/

Old 06-06-2007, 10:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

On 5 Jun, 16:35, Bob Bauer wrote:
asked:

.....I like single flowers (if thats the correct
term), I'm not too fussed about scent...I quite like things like
'dortmund', 'parkdirektor riggers', 'altissisimo', but am aware that
they are climbers.....can they be grown as free standing
shrubs?

Any climber can be grown as a shrub, it just depends on how you prune
it.

.....can anyone recommend any of these in particular or anything else?

Three roses come to mind. The first is the Ralph Moore floribunda
'Playtime', sort of a rusty red color, but a very prolific and
continuous bloomer if deadheaded.http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=4880

OK, a bit small....I'm interested, but at this stage I'm planting
shrubs etc....(I've done trees and I'm working my way down).

The second is the Tom Carruth rose 'Home Run' just introduced in 2006.
Carruth is the greatest hybridizer of our era in my opinion.http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=45015

also the right sort of thing...but a bit small.

The third is the well known, highly rated and widely grown Kordes
Rugosa rose, Robusta.http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=5236

Now I've seen this one at the same time I saw Altissismo, but I'd
forgotten it until you reminded me.....very nice...exactly the sort of
thing.....I'm probably going to buy 2 or three similar sort of
things...this may be one of them....thanks very much.