Old 04-06-2007, 03:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
James James is offline

Default Pea supports

On Jun 2, 8:23 pm, cloud dreamer wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
General Schvantzkoph wrote in
news

I'm growing some sugar snap peas. I've stuck tomato stakes in the
ground near each pea plant but it doesn't look like they are going to
grab on to the sticks by themselves. Do I need to tie the peas to the
stakes or is there some other method for providing support that will
work better?

You're supposed to provide support for your peas? I've just put mine in
the ground and let them go. I do that with the bush beans I plant too.

Puckdropper

Can do it either way. Some don't have the room to let them stay on the
ground...others find the peas are a target by pests if they leave them
down. I like the convenience of being able to see the pea pods easily.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.

--

We must change the way we live,
or the climate will do it for us.

Also depends on the variety. You can get ones that grow 2' to 3' tall
and don't need staking, or ones that grow over 6' and need support.