Old 30-03-2003, 03:08 AM
zhanataya

Default Crabgrass Preventer

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 18:25:11 -0500, "Ralph Therien"
wrote:

Can it be purchased in granular form without fertilizer mixed and
pre-packagd into it ?
I just want the preventer not the fertilizer.

There is an organic product that is corn gluten based. I believe it
is packaged under the name Concern. But just about any pre emergent
will keep the seeds from germinating. But I usually see it as a liquid
not a granular. Preen is a granular pre emergent. My only time using
it was disappointing. Pre emergents needs to be applied at 90 day
intervals to maintain their effectiveness. It won't do anything to
the existing crabgrass. Mowing doesn't help because crabgrass flowers
and sets seeds lower than a lawn is mowed. For existing crabgrass you
can pull (back breaking) or wait until it dies (it is an annual) and
then rake it out late this coming fall.

zhan