Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Ralph Therien

Default Crabgrass Preventer

Can it be purchased in granular form without fertilizer mixed and
pre-packagd into it ?
I just want the preventer not the fertilizer.

Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 18:25:11 -0500, "Ralph Therien"
wrote:

Can it be purchased in granular form without fertilizer mixed and
pre-packagd into it ?
I just want the preventer not the fertilizer.

A healthy lawn regularly topdressed and aerated will NOT have
crabgrass. Have a soil test done and give your lawn what it needs to
be healthy.

"As crude a weapon as a cave man's club the chemical barrage has been hurled at the fabric of life."
Rachel Carson
Old 30-03-2003, 02:56 AM
Phisherman

wrote:

Can it be purchased in granular form without fertilizer mixed and
pre-packagd into it ?
I just want the preventer not the fertilizer.

Yes. Most crab grass preventers last 90 days. A second application
would be required in June and (in my region) you don't fertilize in
June. Two applications are recommended for areas with long hot
summers and for those lawns that had severe crabgrass problems the
previous year. Crabgrass seeds remain viable for over 10 years, but
a thick lawn keeps it at bay.
--
Phish©
Old 30-03-2003, 03:08 AM
zhanataya

wrote:

Can it be purchased in granular form without fertilizer mixed and
pre-packagd into it ?
I just want the preventer not the fertilizer.

There is an organic product that is corn gluten based. I believe it
is packaged under the name Concern. But just about any pre emergent
will keep the seeds from germinating. But I usually see it as a liquid
not a granular. Preen is a granular pre emergent. My only time using
it was disappointing. Pre emergents needs to be applied at 90 day
intervals to maintain their effectiveness. It won't do anything to
the existing crabgrass. Mowing doesn't help because crabgrass flowers
and sets seeds lower than a lawn is mowed. For existing crabgrass you
can pull (back breaking) or wait until it dies (it is an annual) and
then rake it out late this coming fall.

zhan
Old 19-07-2003, 01:12 PM

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:59:07 GMT, "coastalplainsnowman" wrote:

I put down Scotts with Halts in early April, as per the instructions. That
meant I couldn't seed this spring, but I figured at least I'd lessen my
crabgrass problem. I look at my lawn this weekend, and whaddaya know?
Crabgrass growing in exactly the same places it did last year, only I think
it has even arrived a bit sooner.

Has anyone else experienced this? Did I time it wrong or does this stuff
just not work as advertised?

Thanks

I've used Halts with success. I've never had that much crab grass anyway but still use it as I believe it prevents other weeds as well. The only place I get it now is on the vegetable and flower garden borders so i just pull that up. I would pull the stuf
f before it seeds