Old 05-06-2007, 01:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dave Dave is offline

Default flowers on fruits and veggies - pick or not?

wrote in message
ups.com...
This is probably a very simple question but I'll ask it anyway. When
the flowers show up on your fruits (tomatoes, strawberries), or
veggies (peas), do you pick them or leave them? I'm sure last year my
dad told me to always pick the tomato flowers as they showed up but
I'm fairly certain I'm supposed to leave the strawberry and pea
flowers to get any fruit. Should I be leaving the tomato flowers??

If, in the past, all the flowers were picked from the tomato plants; can
assure you that no tomatoes resulted. Leave the flowers, then observe
exactly where the tomato plant is making its tomatoes. Barring bloom rot,
lack of wind or lack of self-pollenation, you should see that the blooms
that don't fall off are generally replaced by tomatoes.
Dave