Old 04-06-2007, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default flowers on fruits and veggies - pick or not?

This is probably a very simple question but I'll ask it anyway. When
the flowers show up on your fruits (tomatoes, strawberries), or
veggies (peas), do you pick them or leave them? I'm sure last year my
dad told me to always pick the tomato flowers as they showed up but
I'm fairly certain I'm supposed to leave the strawberry and pea
flowers to get any fruit. Should I be leaving the tomato flowers??

Old 05-06-2007, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 20:32:01 -0000, "
wrote:

This is probably a very simple question but I'll ask it anyway. When
the flowers show up on your fruits (tomatoes, strawberries), or
veggies (peas), do you pick them or leave them? I'm sure last year my
dad told me to always pick the tomato flowers as they showed up but
I'm fairly certain I'm supposed to leave the strawberry and pea
flowers to get any fruit. Should I be leaving the tomato flowers??

Only if you want fruit.
--
Susan N.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote in message
ups.com...
This is probably a very simple question but I'll ask it anyway. When
the flowers show up on your fruits (tomatoes, strawberries), or
veggies (peas), do you pick them or leave them? I'm sure last year my
dad told me to always pick the tomato flowers as they showed up but
I'm fairly certain I'm supposed to leave the strawberry and pea
flowers to get any fruit. Should I be leaving the tomato flowers??

If, in the past, all the flowers were picked from the tomato plants; can
assure you that no tomatoes resulted. Leave the flowers, then observe
exactly where the tomato plant is making its tomatoes. Barring bloom rot,
lack of wind or lack of self-pollenation, you should see that the blooms
that don't fall off are generally replaced by tomatoes.
Dave

Old 05-06-2007, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 5, 5:51 am, "Dave" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

This is probably a very simple question but I'll ask it anyway. When
the flowers show up on your fruits (tomatoes, strawberries), or
veggies (peas), do you pick them or leave them? I'm sure last year my
dad told me to always pick the tomato flowers as they showed up but
I'm fairly certain I'm supposed to leave the strawberry and pea
flowers to get any fruit. Should I be leaving the tomato flowers??

If, in the past, all the flowers were picked from the tomato plants; can
assure you that no tomatoes resulted. Leave the flowers, then observe
exactly where the tomato plant is making its tomatoes. Barring bloom rot,
lack of wind or lack of self-pollenation, you should see that the blooms
that don't fall off are generally replaced by tomatoes.
Dave

OK, maybe my memory really is that bad because I did get tomatoes last
year! I will leave all my blooms from now on and look forward to a
bountiful harvest! thanks!

Old 06-06-2007, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

It is said that if you pick the first flower from the tomato plant, you will
get a larger crop. I don't know, my maters tend to produce more than enough
in general. Last year doesn't count, when I didn't realize that I've
planted my garden in between two black Walnut trees and had zero crop .

-M

wrote in message
oups.com...

ups.com...

Old 06-06-2007, 03:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 5, 5:41 pm, "Jane Doe" wrote:
It is said that if you pick the first flower from the tomato plant, you will
get a larger crop. I don't know, my maters tend to produce more than enough
in general. Last year doesn't count, when I didn't realize that I've
planted my garden in between two black Walnut trees and had zero crop .

-M

wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jun 5, 5:51 am, "Dave" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

I think I realized my error - I believe what I was told last year was
to pick the suckers, not the flowers, but somehow my memory said
flowers...anyway, thanks all for setting me straight.