Old 05-06-2007, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cerumen[_3_] Cerumen[_3_] is offline

Default Onion help

"Amethyst Deceiver" wrote in message
This is the first year I've grown onions with any success - mainly because
I bought sets rather than planting seed, I suspect.

The onions are filling out in the bulb and stem and the leaves are
starting to bend and break - I think this is what they're supposed to do,
so that's okay.

They plants are beginning to produce buds - do I need to pinch them out,
or leave them to flower? Also, can I start pulling the onions now for
immediate use, or should I wait till the foliage goes yellow?

I always pinch the buds off and have always pulled a few that are big enough
as soon as they are just that, they might be a bit wet but are fine to eat.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.