Old 05-06-2007, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Onion help

This is the first year I've grown onions with any success - mainly because I
bought sets rather than planting seed, I suspect.

The onions are filling out in the bulb and stem and the leaves are starting
to bend and break - I think this is what they're supposed to do, so that's
okay.

They plants are beginning to produce buds - do I need to pinch them out, or
leave them to flower? Also, can I start pulling the onions now for immediate
use, or should I wait till the foliage goes yellow?

In other news, the broad beans are in full flower, the French beans are
attempting to grow past the slug depradation, the mangetout are slowly
coming into flower and the peas, ah the peas! There are three pods! I might
get a plateful by the end of the month!

--
Linz
Wet Yorks

Old 05-06-2007, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Amethyst Deceiver" wrote in message
This is the first year I've grown onions with any success - mainly because
I bought sets rather than planting seed, I suspect.

The onions are filling out in the bulb and stem and the leaves are
starting to bend and break - I think this is what they're supposed to do,
so that's okay.

They plants are beginning to produce buds - do I need to pinch them out,
or leave them to flower? Also, can I start pulling the onions now for
immediate use, or should I wait till the foliage goes yellow?

I always pinch the buds off and have always pulled a few that are big enough
as soon as they are just that, they might be a bit wet but are fine to eat.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cerumen wrote:
"Amethyst Deceiver" wrote in message
This is the first year I've grown onions with any success - mainly
because I bought sets rather than planting seed, I suspect.

The onions are filling out in the bulb and stem and the leaves are
starting to bend and break - I think this is what they're supposed
to do, so that's okay.

They plants are beginning to produce buds - do I need to pinch them
out, or leave them to flower? Also, can I start pulling the onions
now for immediate use, or should I wait till the foliage goes yellow?

I always pinch the buds off and have always pulled a few that are big
enough as soon as they are just that, they might be a bit wet but are
fine to eat.

Thanks. I should just have asked in the Shed!
--
Linz
Wet Yorks

Old 05-06-2007, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Amethyst Deceiver
writes

the peas, ah the peas! There are three pods! I might
get a plateful by the end of the month!

A whole plateful? I would have to grow acres of peas to gather a whole
plateful. Mine never get more than 2 feet from the plant.

And having laid the foundation the blatant thread highjack.

Given that I eat the overwhelming majority of my peas raw and as fresh
as they can get and I actually like the flavour and texture of the seed
not the packet it comes in has anybody any recommendations for varieties
that are best for suited this?

--
steve auvache
Old 05-06-2007, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cerumen wrote:
"Amethyst Deceiver" wrote in message
This is the first year I've grown onions with any success - mainly
because I bought sets rather than planting seed, I suspect.

The onions are filling out in the bulb and stem and the leaves are
starting to bend and break - I think this is what they're supposed
to do, so that's okay.

They plants are beginning to produce buds - do I need to pinch them
out, or leave them to flower? Also, can I start pulling the onions
now for immediate use, or should I wait till the foliage goes yellow?

I always pinch the buds off and have always pulled a few that are big
enough as soon as they are just that, they might be a bit wet but are
fine to eat.

Thanks. I should just have asked in the Shed!

Asking is fine in the shed, the quality of reply may vary somewhat though.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 5, 9:21 am, "Amethyst Deceiver"
wrote:
[...]

I would be a bit worried if this was happening unless they are
Japanese sets planted last year.
It sounds a bit too early for normal sets to start to bulb, it is
normally towards the end of June, and they start to bend over in
August.They should also not be producing flower buds.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Amethyst Deceiver" wrote in message
This is the first year I've grown onions with any success - mainly because
I bought sets rather than planting seed, I suspect.

The onions are filling out in the bulb and stem and the leaves are
starting to bend and break - I think this is what they're supposed to do,
so that's okay.

They plants are beginning to produce buds - do I need to pinch them out,
or leave them to flower? Also, can I start pulling the onions now for
immediate use, or should I wait till the foliage goes yellow?

In other news, the broad beans are in full flower, the French beans are
attempting to grow past the slug depradation, the mangetout are slowly
coming into flower and the peas, ah the peas! There are three pods! I
might get a plateful by the end of the month!

I'd love to be able to grow peas but if I did I doubt that they'd get as far
as a plate :-)

It's not wet enough here - I'm using roof water from the butts!

Mary
p.s. can't help you with onions :-(

--
Linz
Wet Yorks

Old 07-06-2007, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Anne Jackson
writes
The message from steve auvache contains these words:
In article , Amethyst Deceiver
writes

the peas, ah the peas! There are three pods! I might
get a plateful by the end of the month!

A whole plateful? I would have to grow acres of peas to gather a whole
plateful. Mine never get more than 2 feet from the plant.

And having laid the foundation the blatant thread highjack.

Given that I eat the overwhelming majority of my peas raw and as fresh
as they can get and I actually like the flavour and texture of the seed
not the packet it comes in has anybody any recommendations for varieties
that are best for suited this?

No, but you could make Pea Pod wine...?

I could, in fact in the past I have, which is why I use such things for
compost these days.

It just strikes me as odd that, almost to a man, we claim 99% of our
peas never make it to the plate yet the sellers of such things, as aware
of their market as they claim, make no efforts to offer choices based
upon this well known fact.

--
steve auvache
A Bloo one with built in safety features