Old 05-06-2007, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim Tyler Tim Tyler is offline

Default Small fruit tree

K wrote:

Most of the fruit we grow in the UK is the same family - they are
all in the rose family :-)

Rose family includes apples, pears, plums, damsons, apricots, medlars,
blackberries, raspberries, strawberries etc (as well as lots of our
ornamentals and wild flowers). [...]

But within the Rose family, there are a large number of genera,
including Malus = apples and crab apples, Pyrus = pears, Rubus =
raspberries, blackberries etc,

And in particular, Prunus includes plums, damsons, greengages, bullaces,
cherry plums, cherries, sloes, apricot and peach. All things with a
stone. So you were right in spotting that similarity.

But almond is Amygdala - don't know why, because the fruit is very
peach-like - help, someone?

The taxonomy browser[*] places almonds in with plums, apricots
and peaches:

Eukaryota; Viridiplantae; Streptophyta; Streptophytina; Embryophyta;
Tracheophyta; Euphyllophyta; Spermatophyta; Magnoliophyta;
eudicotyledons; core eudicotyledons; rosids; eurosids I; Rosales;
Rosaceae; Amygdaloideae; Prunus
[*] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Taxonomy/Browser/wwwtax.cgi
--