Old 05-06-2007, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Bob Bauer[_2_] Bob Bauer[_2_] is offline

Default Recommendations...Single red, large upright......

asked:

.....I like single flowers (if thats the correct
term), I'm not too fussed about scent...I quite like things like
'dortmund', 'parkdirektor riggers', 'altissisimo', but am aware that
they are climbers.....can they be grown as free standing
shrubs?

Any climber can be grown as a shrub, it just depends on how you prune
it.

.....can anyone recommend any of these in particular or anything else?

Three roses come to mind. The first is the Ralph Moore floribunda
'Playtime', sort of a rusty red color, but a very prolific and
continuous bloomer if deadheaded.
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=4880

The second is the Tom Carruth rose 'Home Run' just introduced in 2006.
Carruth is the greatest hybridizer of our era in my opinion.
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=45015

The third is the well known, highly rated and widely grown Kordes
Rugosa rose, Robusta.
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=5236

My soil is pretty heavy clay, midlands UK, so it needs to be
reasonably hardy, it would probably be in fullish sun.

Since roses need an acid soil of pH 6.5 to do well, I would recommend
digging a hole 1/2 meter wide and deep, discarding the clay soil and
filling the hole with finished compost or high organic content potting
soil. Doing this will make your rose thrive. It is worth the effort
and expense.

Have a good day,

Bob Bauer
http://www.rose-roses.com/