Old 05-06-2007, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Barb[_2_] Barb[_2_] is offline

Default Cleaning old flagstones

Thanks for all the replies, folks, and so quickly!

I didn't realise reasonable washers were so cheap - I might go that route.
I'll try the sand, scrubbing and detergent idea first - I'm retired and I've
got the time, and could use the exercise!

I know in a lot of cases a brand new look is not good for many houses. But
mine is a little modern, boring end-terrace and it just looks tatty now.
The house I lived in 15 years ago - as Broadback and Sacha, I'd have wanted
to age them!

Thnx again.

Barb

"Barb" wrote in message
Hi, I have a garden which consists of beds, flagstones (the red brick
design and the conventional ones) and paths, having been a showhouse a few
years ago.

The flagstones are now very grimy and discoloured and look about fifty
years old and very dowdy! I have cleaned them a couple of times since I
moved in with conventional patio cleaner, which helped a bit, but it now
seems a bit beyond that - possibly partly because patio cleaners from the
garden centre seem to be fairly innocuous because of polution etc (?).

I also borrowed my son's pressure jet water thingy one year, which was
quite good. I suppose I could invest in one, but I don't really want to
'cos they're expensive for just occasional use.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Barb