Old 05-06-2007, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alrafter alrafter is offline

Default Onion help

On Jun 5, 9:21 am, "Amethyst Deceiver"
wrote:
This is the first year I've grown onions with any success - mainly because I
bought sets rather than planting seed, I suspect.

The onions are filling out in the bulb and stem and the leaves are starting
to bend and break - I think this is what they're supposed to do, so that's
okay.

They plants are beginning to produce buds - do I need to pinch them out, or
leave them to flower? Also, can I start pulling the onions now for immediate
use, or should I wait till the foliage goes yellow?

In other news, the broad beans are in full flower, the French beans are
attempting to grow past the slug depradation, the mangetout are slowly
coming into flower and the peas, ah the peas! There are three pods! I might
get a plateful by the end of the month!

--
Linz
Wet Yorks

I would be a bit worried if this was happening unless they are
Japanese sets planted last year.
It sounds a bit too early for normal sets to start to bulb, it is
normally towards the end of June, and they start to bend over in
August.They should also not be producing flower buds.