Old 05-06-2007, 10:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default 100 feet of clear hose experiment:results

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 10:11:04 CST, wrote:

I may need to slow the flow and attach the outflow directly to the UV.
In any case, it does act as solar heating. Ingrid

I saw a couple solar water heater some of my neighbors has installed
on their roof. It wouldn't be too hard to duplicate something similar
that would deliver heat to the pond water.

Assuming this has to be out in the open with cold temperatures. Build
a box insulated on three sides, large enough to house a
radiator/collector made of 10 ft lengths black pipe about 2" diameter
and put clear plastic over the side of the box facing South. Make the
inflow to the 2" tube radiator/collector 1" or smaller to slow the
flow a bit. It should be angled to accept the sun's rays (It might be
better vertical as far North as you live. and have a cut off/drain
for summer. I could build one of these and have a koi hot tub in
summer, but the koi wouldn't like it.

If you think of a better idea. I don't cement/glue the plastic pipes
that I use except a few joints near the pump that vibrate, the others
I simply force together and since there is little pressure on them
they usually don't leak. The ones that do get fine sand around the
joint before forcing them together and if that fails they get glued.

Regards,

Hal