Old 04-06-2007, 05:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default 100 feet of clear hose experiment:results

well... I tried running pond water thru the 100 feet of clear tubing
from aquatic ecosystems. the water was definitely warmer at the
outflow around 1 degree difference with a slow flow. But I got an
incredible algae bloom. the algae was growing on the inside of the
hose, so it was working as a veggie filter. however, the algae also
would come off in clumps when stepped on. I disconnected the tubing,
turned on the UV and the water cleared in about a week.
pfffft.
I may need to slow the flow and attach the outflow directly to the UV.
In any case, it does act as solar heating. Ingrid

Old 05-06-2007, 01:03 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Algae will not be denied!

I'll be interested in seeing what happens
on your follow-ups.

k :-)

Old 05-06-2007, 10:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 10:11:04 CST, wrote:

I may need to slow the flow and attach the outflow directly to the UV.
In any case, it does act as solar heating. Ingrid

I saw a couple solar water heater some of my neighbors has installed
on their roof. It wouldn't be too hard to duplicate something similar
that would deliver heat to the pond water.

Assuming this has to be out in the open with cold temperatures. Build
a box insulated on three sides, large enough to house a
radiator/collector made of 10 ft lengths black pipe about 2" diameter
and put clear plastic over the side of the box facing South. Make the
inflow to the 2" tube radiator/collector 1" or smaller to slow the
flow a bit. It should be angled to accept the sun's rays (It might be
better vertical as far North as you live. and have a cut off/drain
for summer. I could build one of these and have a koi hot tub in
summer, but the koi wouldn't like it.

If you think of a better idea. I don't cement/glue the plastic pipes
that I use except a few joints near the pump that vibrate, the others
I simply force together and since there is little pressure on them
they usually don't leak. The ones that do get fine sand around the
joint before forcing them together and if that fails they get glued.

Regards,

Hal

Old 07-06-2007, 05:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I wanted the hose to do double duty, both heat the water AND grow
algae that would clean up wastes in winter. Otherwise we would have
gone with simple black hose that really heats up water. I tossed the
clear hose on the dark gravel, but I am reconstructed the arbor over
the walk between house and garage and when I do I will construct it to
hold the clear hose at a good angle for the winter sky. Since both my
DH and I are teachers and biologists we been looking at solar
something for our house. Most of it is tooooo expensive for us,
payback in the 50 year range even with buy back, discounts, etc.
Ingrid

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 15:00:26 CST, Hal wrote:
I saw a couple solar water heater some of my neighbors has installed
on their roof.

Rate This Thread: