Old 06-06-2007, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default Coffee grounds and slugs ?

Thanks

"cloud dreamer" wrote in message
Frank wrote:
What kind of mulch?

Any kind. I use pine primarily...or cedar. You just have to make sure it's
mulch and not chips or nuggets. Those are too big to really have any
affect.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.

"cloud dreamer" wrote in message
Al Dykes wrote:
I've seen a passing reference to the use of coffee grounds to control
slugs. Do they work and how do I apply them?

Better off with mulch. Even if coffee grounds does the job (I don't
know) it would be washed away after a couple showers/waterings (same as
DE). With mulch, you get the benefits that it dissuades slugs but also
it dissuades weeds and holds water.

All you have to do is make sure it's fluffed up if it gets walked on a
lot. The slugs won't cross it because it tears up their bellies.

..

--

We must change the way we live,
or the climate will do it for us.