Old 12-05-2007, 08:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Coffee grounds and slugs ?

I've seen a passing reference to the use of coffee grounds to control
slugs. Do they work and how do I apply them?

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
Old 12-05-2007, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Al Dykes wrote:
I've seen a passing reference to the use of coffee grounds to control
slugs. Do they work and how do I apply them?

Better off with mulch. Even if coffee grounds does the job (I don't
know) it would be washed away after a couple showers/waterings (same as
DE). With mulch, you get the benefits that it dissuades slugs but also
it dissuades weeds and holds water.

All you have to do is make sure it's fluffed up if it gets walked on a
lot. The slugs won't cross it because it tears up their bellies.

..

Old 31-05-2007, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
What kind of mulch?

Any kind. I use pine primarily...or cedar. You just have to make sure
it's mulch and not chips or nuggets. Those are too big to really have
any affect.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.

Al Dykes wrote:
I've seen a passing reference to the use of coffee grounds to control
slugs. Do they work and how do I apply them?

Better off with mulch. Even if coffee grounds does the job (I don't know)
it would be washed away after a couple showers/waterings (same as DE).
With mulch, you get the benefits that it dissuades slugs but also it
dissuades weeds and holds water.

All you have to do is make sure it's fluffed up if it gets walked on a
lot. The slugs won't cross it because it tears up their bellies.

..

--

We must change the way we live,
or the climate will do it for us.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Thanks

Al Dykes wrote:
I've seen a passing reference to the use of coffee grounds to control
slugs. Do they work and how do I apply them?

Better off with mulch. Even if coffee grounds does the job (I don't
know) it would be washed away after a couple showers/waterings (same as
DE). With mulch, you get the benefits that it dissuades slugs but also
it dissuades weeds and holds water.

All you have to do is make sure it's fluffed up if it gets walked on a
lot. The slugs won't cross it because it tears up their bellies.

..

--

We must change the way we live,
or the climate will do it for us.

I certainly am in favor with the approach BUT a "chemical" called Sluggo
will get rid of 95% of your problems. Normally, I have gangs of ravenous
gastropods devouring my daytime labors at night. This year, I used
Sluggo for the first time. That, plus straw mulch, have left me with
very few problems with snail and slugs, where normally the first plants
out are sacrificial lambs to draw out the gastropods for vigilante
justice, during my night-time recon. With Sluggo and mulch, life is much
easier. It can be applied to the crop up till the day of harvest. So
far, I've found no down side to this product.

- Billy

- Bill