Old 06-06-2007, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Onion help

"Amethyst Deceiver" wrote in message
This is the first year I've grown onions with any success - mainly because
I bought sets rather than planting seed, I suspect.

The onions are filling out in the bulb and stem and the leaves are
starting to bend and break - I think this is what they're supposed to do,
so that's okay.

They plants are beginning to produce buds - do I need to pinch them out,
or leave them to flower? Also, can I start pulling the onions now for
immediate use, or should I wait till the foliage goes yellow?

In other news, the broad beans are in full flower, the French beans are
attempting to grow past the slug depradation, the mangetout are slowly
coming into flower and the peas, ah the peas! There are three pods! I
might get a plateful by the end of the month!

I'd love to be able to grow peas but if I did I doubt that they'd get as far
as a plate :-)

It's not wet enough here - I'm using roof water from the butts!

Mary
p.s. can't help you with onions :-(

--
Linz