Old 06-06-2007, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default Caterpillar problem

BBC video about them:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/new...tm?bw=nb&mp=rm

Dealing with them in Holland: http://www.stock4u.nl/foto.php?fotoID=1204#

France too has a 'search and destroy' plan (can't find a
link.............)

Jenny

They are often shown here on French TV. It seems people have extreme
allergic reactions to them. They are also dangerous to dogs, cats, birds or
anything that touches them. Contact with them can even be fatal. They are
spreading all over the country and the authorities are very concerned. They
also cause severe damage to conifers and I think also to oaks. They are very
dangerous to people who try to exterminate them without proper protection -
so for example I've heard of people bashing them with sticks but this makes
the caterpillars hairs fly everywhere. The only 'safe' DIY method I've heard
is to spray their 'nests' first with hair spray to keep the hairs in place,
then cut off and burn affected branches.

David.