Old 03-06-2007, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Caterpillar problem

Help , First off I know marginally less than Zero about gardening, so
be gentle!! I have a bush in the garden which grows against the side
of the house. Small green leaves and sort of yellowy / pale green
edges Leaves about the size of 'privet'?
It has become covered in cotton wool type cobwebs and loads of 1" long
dark grey caterpillars with 2 rows of black spots on them. I pair of
spots per body segment. Hope this is enough info.

Q...what are they and how can I get rid of them? I presume that they
are 'up to no good' ?

Many thanks

Old 03-06-2007, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
oups.com...
Help , First off I know marginally less than Zero about gardening, so
be gentle!! I have a bush in the garden which grows against the side
of the house. Small green leaves and sort of yellowy / pale green
edges Leaves about the size of 'privet'?
It has become covered in cotton wool type cobwebs and loads of 1" long
dark grey caterpillars with 2 rows of black spots on them. I pair of
spots per body segment. Hope this is enough info.

Q...what are they and how can I get rid of them? I presume that they
are 'up to no good' ?

Many thanks

Can you identify your catterpillar from these
http://www.whatsthiscaterpillar.co.uk/plates.htm

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 3, 7:50 pm, "Emrys Davies" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

Help , First off I know marginally less than Zero about gardening, so
be gentle!! I have a bush in the garden which grows against the side
of the house. Small green leaves and sort of yellowy / pale green
edges Leaves about the size of 'privet'?
It has become covered in cotton wool type cobwebs and loads of 1" long
dark grey caterpillars with 2 rows of black spots on them. I pair of
spots per body segment. Hope this is enough info.

Q...what are they and how can I get rid of them? I presume that they
are 'up to no good' ?

Many thanks

Can you identify your catterpillar from thesehttp://www.whatsthiscaterpillar.co.uk/plates.htm

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Ashworths Rustic appears to be the best match....only ours have got
black heads. The body colour is very dark grey, the body diameter is
about 3mm length about 25-30mm.
Should I try toget a photo tomorrow?

Thanks

Old 03-06-2007, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

writes
On Jun 3, 7:50 pm, "Emrys Davies" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Photograph the foodplant too. Caterpillars are very specific as to food
plant, and identifying the foodplant usually cuts down your
possibilities to fewer than half a dozen, before you even think about
what the caterpillar looks like. Post the pics on a site that allows
pictures, and post the url here.

As to whether you get rid of them, you have to consider which you value
more, this year's foliage or the moth or butterfly that they will
become. If it's a bush, I doubt they'll kill it - just make it look
sorry for itself this year.
--
Kay
Old 03-06-2007, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message om,
writes
On Jun 3, 7:50 pm, "Emrys Davies" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Ashworth's Rustic, in the UK, is restricted to mountainous habitats in
Snowdonia. Thus is doesn't look like a good candidate, unless you live
in Blaenau or Bethesda.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 04-06-2007, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 3, 11:09 pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message om,
writes

On Jun 3, 7:50 pm, "Emrys Davies" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

URL:http://snowdonia-npa.gov.uk/page/ind...gafter&nav2=8&
nav3=5&nav4=3&lang=eng&id=14
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley- Hide quoted text -

BU**ER ....not Lancashire coast then?

I'll take a pic tomorrow
Thanks

Old 05-06-2007, 06:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
oups.com...
Help , First off I know marginally less than Zero about gardening, so
be gentle!! I have a bush in the garden which grows against the side
of the house. Small green leaves and sort of yellowy / pale green
edges Leaves about the size of 'privet'?
It has become covered in cotton wool type cobwebs and loads of 1" long
dark grey caterpillars with 2 rows of black spots on them. I pair of
spots per body segment. Hope this is enough info.

Q...what are they and how can I get rid of them? I presume that they
are 'up to no good' ?
Many thanks

Cold it be this - Thaumetopoea processionea ??
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1...13763689pogFac

If so you need to get rid of them asap!
http://www.itg.be/itg/DistanceLearni...arasitesp8.htm
Jenny

Old 05-06-2007, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

JennyC writes

wrote in message
roups.com...
Help , First off I know marginally less than Zero about gardening, so
be gentle!! I have a bush in the garden which grows against the side
of the house. Small green leaves and sort of yellowy / pale green
edges Leaves about the size of 'privet'?
It has become covered in cotton wool type cobwebs and loads of 1" long
dark grey caterpillars with 2 rows of black spots on them. I pair of
spots per body segment. Hope this is enough info.

Q...what are they and how can I get rid of them? I presume that they
are 'up to no good' ?
Many thanks

Cold it be this - Thaumetopoea processionea ??
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1...13763689pogFac

If so you need to get rid of them asap!
http://www.itg.be/itg/DistanceLearni...denEndenE/52_E
ctoparasitesp8.htm

Why????
It's not exactly difficult to avoid being in contact withcaterpillars

--
Kay
Old 05-06-2007, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

these are the little beggars

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...s/DSCN0546.jpg

So, is it advisable to get rid of them, or are they going to provide
me with more colour ??

Many thanks

Old 06-06-2007, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
JennyC writes

wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

if it's the above mentioned caterpillar, they cause allergic and respiratory
reactions (their hairs). The army has been called in Belgium to tackle them
with flamethrowers!!!
http://www.neatorama.com/2007/06/02/...y-caterpillar/

Jenny

Old 06-06-2007, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

JennyC writes

"K" wrote in message
JennyC writes

If so you need to get rid of them asap!
http://www.itg.be/itg/DistanceLearni...denEndenE/52_E
ctoparasitesp8.htm

Why????
It's not exactly difficult to avoid being in contact withcaterpillars

if it's the above mentioned caterpillar, they cause allergic and respiratory
reactions (their hairs). The army has been called in Belgium to tackle them
with flamethrowers!!!
http://www.neatorama.com/2007/06/02/...gainst-hairy-c
aterpillar/

Well, it isn't that caterpillar ;-)

But in any case, that link hardly gives enough information to explain
why total destruction of this species is required. How widespread is the
species, how abundant, what habitat does it occupy, how do other
countries deal with it?

The article claims that caterpillar allergies account for up to 80% of
doctor visits in the area - if so, then that is indeed a problem, but if
the underlying statistic is 80% of doctor visits connected with
allergies, then that is a different matter entirely.
--
Kay
Old 06-06-2007, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

writes
these are the little beggars

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...s/DSCN0546.jpg

So, is it advisable to get rid of them, or are they going to provide
me with more colour ??

Yours do not appear to be the same as the ones in jenny's link which
have brown spots along the back and a lot more hairs.
--
Kay
Old 06-06-2007, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
JennyC writes

"K" wrote in message
JennyC writes

[...]

BBC video about them:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/new...tm?bw=nb&mp=rm

Dealing with them in Holland: http://www.stock4u.nl/foto.php?fotoID=1204#

France too has a 'search and destroy' plan (can't find a link.............)

Jenny

Old 06-06-2007, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

BBC video about them:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/new...tm?bw=nb&mp=rm

Dealing with them in Holland: http://www.stock4u.nl/foto.php?fotoID=1204#

France too has a 'search and destroy' plan (can't find a
link.............)

Jenny

They are often shown here on French TV. It seems people have extreme
allergic reactions to them. They are also dangerous to dogs, cats, birds or
anything that touches them. Contact with them can even be fatal. They are
spreading all over the country and the authorities are very concerned. They
also cause severe damage to conifers and I think also to oaks. They are very
dangerous to people who try to exterminate them without proper protection -
so for example I've heard of people bashing them with sticks but this makes
the caterpillars hairs fly everywhere. The only 'safe' DIY method I've heard
is to spray their 'nests' first with hair spray to keep the hairs in place,
then cut off and burn affected branches.

David.

caterpillar - caterpillar.jpg (1/1) kayla Garden Photos 0 08-07-2007 05:30 PM
caterpillar - caterpillar.jpg (0/1) kayla Garden Photos 0 08-07-2007 05:30 PM
Caterpillar Id? Lilly Gardening 4 12-06-2003 05:32 AM
Bottle Garden caterpillar problem Alwyn Williams United Kingdom 0 28-04-2003 09:20 AM