Old 06-06-2007, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rehn rehn is offline

Default Worms in my pears

On Jun 6, 8:29 pm, "BAC" wrote:
"rehn" wrote in message

ups.com...

I have small white worms in my pears. After a while they go black and
fall off. This has happen for several years now. Don't know what to
do. Any suggestions ?

Image:
http://hem.bredband.net/b233107/pear.JPG

Regards
john rehn

That's probably codling moths. If you google on codling moth, you'll find
quite a variety of competing methods for codling moth control, depending on
whether you favour the 'organic' or 'natural' or chemical approach, too many
to list here.

Thanks for response. I have googled on "codling moth" pear and got
68000 hits.....
But it seems like this is something else, no entrance hole, and the
worms are
smaller. Codling moth seems to be what I use to call "apple worms"
Nearby apple trees are not infected.
The pears becomes black and drops when they are about the size of a
hazel nut.

Regards
john rehn